1. The Bible (Old and New Testaments) is the Word of God, without error in the original writings. It is truthful and trustworthy, reflecting God’s authorship through Spirit-controlled human personalities. It is the supreme and final authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
2. There is only one true and living God, eternally existing in three Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (the Trinity), who are equal in every divine perfection, yet execute distinct but harmonious roles in creation and salvation.
3. God the Father is the first Person of the Trinity. He is the supreme ruler of the entire universe, perfect in holiness, infinite in wisdom, measureless in power, and boundless in love. To accomplish His divine purpose, the Father has, at His appointed time, sent forth both God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.
4. God the Son, Jesus Christ, is fully divine and fully human. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, and lived a sinless life. He died on the cross for our sins, was buried, and rose bodily from the dead. He appeared to many before He ascended into heaven where He intercedes for His people as Lord. He will return to earth to rule according to His promise.
5. God the Holy Spirit is a Person who carries out the will of the Father and glorifies the Son. He exposes guilt and performs the miracle of new birth in an unbeliever. He indwells believers and intercedes for them, enabling them to live a godly life and equipping them with gifts for ministry.
6. Angels are created spiritual beings. Good angels worship and serve God as His messengers and minister to His people. Evil angels, led by Satan, oppose God and His people. The destiny of evil angels is hell.
7. Human beings were created in the image of God to glorify and enjoy Him forever. However, humans, yielding to Satan’s temptation, rebelled against the Creator, rejecting their sinless state and choosing instead a condition of sin, death, and alienation from God. The evil in the world is the result of this rebellion. All human beings are born into this condition of sinfulness and choose to continue to live as sinful beings. Though possessing inherent dignity, all are depraved and in need of saving grace. Those who trust the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation are forgiven of their sinfulness and can glorify and enjoy God now and forever. Those who refuse to trust Jesus Christ will spend eternity in hell, separated from God.
8. Salvation is offered as a gift of God’s grace and is received through faith in Jesus Christ apart from merit, works, or ritual. The Lord Jesus Christ purchased this salvation through His substitutionary death for the forgiveness of our sins, defeating death through His resurrection. Those who are saved are given new life in Christ to do good works. True believers are part of God’s family and He will never disown them.
9. The spiritual body of true Christians is the Church, of which Christ is the head. This body expresses itself in local assemblies of believers who gather together under the authority of God’s Word for worship, instruction, fellowship, service and outreach. The church’s mission is to make disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ among all nations. At Calvary Church we practice the ordinances of believer’s baptism by immersion and the Lord’s Supper.
For those doctrines not stated above, we allow freedom of belief and the freedom to disagree in love. However, we highly value unity and insist that members do not promote doctrines not listed above such that they cause dissension and division in the body.